I love revitalizing old pieces. All you need to do is add a little trim here, or a new button there and ba da bing! A totally new item you’ll actually wear. I have this happen to me a lot. If I see a piece that I love but don’t really wear, I try to update it. If I still don’t wear it, out it goes but you gotta try, right?
That is exactly what I am going to show you how to do. Try and update that old skirt or jacket. Today I will be revamping a jacket. I found this vintage wool jacket (for $12 I might add) and it fit perfectly. I wasn’t really crazy about the buttons though. But my first thought was, “Perfect! I’ll just add new buttons and a pin!” I’ve this pin for a while that I wanted to use on something but just hadn’t found the right piece yet. Pins and buttons are added and my jacket looks great and yours can too!
Before and After
How to update:
- Thread (you’ll need thicker thread if you’re sewing on buttons)
- Add ons (I’m using buttons, but pins, patches, whatever you want will work!)
- For buttons, you’ll need to cut the old buttons off, but be careful to not cut the fabric of jacket. When finding new buttons, take old ones with you and find ones of similar size. They don’t have to be the same style, just width so they’ll fit into the button holes.
- Once you’ve found buttons, pins, patches, etc. it’s time to sew on! When sewing on buttons, pin in place where old ones were. Use button thread and knot on end. To sew a button on, take thread through fabric and button hole, loop back through fabric, and repeat. You’ll want to do this a few times to keep button in place.
- Once button is in place but not too tight (this will make button hard to move and it will pop off easier) wrap thread three times under the button. This will create movability for button. Once that’s finished wrap once more, this time taking needle through loop making a slip knot. Cut excess thread and button will be in place. Repeat on all buttons.
- Add any other buttons or pins you want and viola! The beauty about this is you can add on or take off as you go. There are no rules so have fun and express your unique style