With the first month of the year done and over, I started to take stock of the work I’ve done so far. And I realized I wasn’t doing as much as I had wanted to. Sure I was working hard and getting most of what I wanted to get done done (ish), but there was a lot more I wanted to accomplish. I have some pretty big goals for 2017 so I started to look at my habits.
I realized that I wasn’t utilizing my time as well as I should be. Sure I get my work done, blog posts out, yada yada. I am also not planning out my schedule better which is something everyone needs to do. After looking at my own habits I have a few ways to getting real work done that I think will be helpful for you (and me) to stay on task and get it done.
- Make a Definite Schedule. This is something I try to do, but half the time fall short. I don’t schedule my time in the most effective way possible. My advice is to take stock of what you have on your plate: work, hobbies, socializing, sleep, etc. and plan out your week. And by plan I mean REALLY plan. Decide what you are going to do every day of the week at the start of each week and you will be amazed by how much you get done. I start by looking at my work schedule, then plan my personal work (blog, auditions, class), social time, and relaxation time accordingly. So far it’s working out ok, but I need to get more sleep…
- Limit your Distractions when Working. Oftentimes when I am writing, blog scheduling, and audition hunting I am watching TV and lying on the couch. I need to stop doing that! By limiting your distractions you will be more focused on the task you are doing and you will get more done. No brainer but man is it easy to sit on the couch after a long day at work. Which brings me to my next point.
- Change your Routine and Habits. Are you a TV “multi-tasker” like I am? Or are you more of a relax then stay up late to finish all your work you didn’t do while you were relaxing? Whatever your vice is it’s time to change it up. It’s so easy for me to just come home every night and watch a movie while internet shopping, but I need to do less of that and more of what I need to do: getting the work I want done so I will be able to make my dream jobs real jobs! Same goes for going out all weekend instead of catching up on sleep, finishing that book, or working on your side hustle. You’ll thank yourself later.
- Change up Your Work Space. I just decided to rearrange my room by switching my desk and bookshelf (if you missed my Insta story the other day, my desk looks like this now!) My work space was feeling a bit stale and I didn’t like working there anymore. So I moved my desk and it has made a world of difference. The lighting is a little bit better and switching up the decor a bit give my workspace a fresh new feel. Fresh feel, fresh ideas. Plus I need to stop working on the couch all the time.
- Reflect at End of Each Month. At the end of every month take stock of the work and play you’ve done. Are you not sleeping enough? Working too much? Haven’t kicked your bad habits? Sit down for about an hour and look back on what you’ve done and what you want to get done. Make a list of things to work on, change, and focus on for the month. Getting yourself focused one month at a time will cause you to remain focused on the smaller tasks that make up the big picture of your goals.
P.S. like this? Read this post on how to make the most of your year!